Pepto Bismol is a drug used for the treatment of the stomach disease like diarrhea in the dogs; stomach upsetting is the common disease among the animals, so the best medicine for the stomach is the Pepto Bismol for dogs. This drug uses by the veterinary physicians for the treatment of the Diarrhea.
Some dogs are sensitive towards some medicine so use such medicines which are recommended by the vets.
Pepto Bismol carries bismuth sub salicylates in it which is responsible for the dilution of the blood and increase the level of the silicates in the blood, so take a prescription from the vets while giving a dose to your pet.
Advantages of Pepto Bismol
1. As Pepto Bismol includes bismuth subsalicylates as a component in it, it covers the inner layer of the stomach and the intestine and helps them for getting more toxic.
2. This component is very useful for the stomach; it is also used in the medicines of the human for the stomach and is also recommended by the vets for the treatment of the dogs.
3. When the excessive amount of the secretion of the fluid from the Prostaglandins then it cause diarrhea, and this medicine is helpful for the curing of diarrhea.
4. The bacteria called Helicobacter which is responsible for the stomach infection in dogs. Pepto Bismol for dogs carries antibacterial components which work against the infection causing bacteria.
Disadvantage of Pepto Bismol
The things that have advantages also carry some disadvantages with it; It has some side effects which are described as follow:
- It causes the hardening of the feces and the condition in which one founds difficult in excreting the bowls, and this condition is called constipation.
- Your dog may eject black or gray feces when he is using Pepto Bismol.
- If you are using the aspirin or other drugs that carry protein bounds, then Pepto Bismol drug can react with these medicines.
- The reason for the reaction is that the both drugs works on the dilution of the blood and increases the amount of the sub salicylates in it and causes harmful effect on the health of the dog. So, use the medicine according to the prescription of the veterinary physicians.
- Sometimes, people use the similar medicine for the treatment of the stomach of the cats, but keep in mind this drug is not useful for the cats. But if you want to use it for the cats then you have to consult the veterinary physicians for the dosage of this drug for cats.
Precautions while using Pepto Bismol for dogs
Some precaution should be taken while using Pepto Bismol for dogs. Some of the precautions are as follow:
1. Keep the bottle tightly closed after the use.
2. Keep it away from moist and sunny places.
3. Don’t miss the dose of Pepto Bismol.
4. If you have forgotten to take the dose of the Pepto Bismol then don’t take two doses at the same time, let the dose missed.
5. Use a proper dosage of Pepto Bismol recommended by the veterinary physicians.
Dosage of Pepto Bismol
When your dog is suffering from diarrhea, then use the dose suggested by the veterinary physicians
- 0.1mg/lb. The dosage of Pepto Bismol for dogs can be taken in this condition.
- This amount of dosage should be given to dog after every 4 to 6 hours.
- This amount of dosage can vary from dog to dog because it depends on upon the size of the dog that how many doses can diagnose him.
- Generally, One tablespoon to 10 pounds weighted dog is sufficient within 4 to 6 hours for five days or a week.